Support Young Adults Serving Our Country
About the Fund
The Patricia Sagawa Corpsmember Relief Fund is designed to provide critical financial support to young adults facing barriers during their term of a service in one of the 140+ member organizations of The Corps Network. The fund is made possible through a generous donation by Shirley Sagawa, a member of The Corps Network’s Board of Directors, in honor of her mother. Please scroll below to learn more.
The fund is designed to offer support to young adults facing conditions that may prevent them from serving or completing their term of service. Funds can be requested to support short-term relief including, but not limited to:
About Patricia Sagawa
Shirley Sagawa describes her mother, Patricia Sagawa, as a person who cared about people in need. There were many examples of her caring nature through her life’s actions: she raised money to pay for the breast cancer surgery for a business contact in Africa, assisted the family of a handyman who had attempted suicide, tried to keep an employee in her restaurant out of prison when he was arrested on a drug offense, and cared for many, many other people. She was passionate about the civil rights movement and attended the White House swearing in of the first AmeriCorps members. Knowing what it was like to grow up in a poor family with parents who never graduated from high school, she too faced setbacks when her college savings had to go towards an emergency. Later in life, first as a nurse and then as the proprietor of two small businesses, when someone she knew was in need, she could not help but step in. Patricia Sagawa passed away in 2018.
Click Here to Apply. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Applicants can request up to $500 at one time. Requests may not to exceed two in a calendar year.
- Applicants will be asked to explain their need in a narrative format, but will not be required to submit proof of income or need.
- Programs will verify the status of the Corpsmember.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis; awards will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If an applicant submits more than one application within a six-month period, those requests will be considered based on availability of funds.
- No more than $5,000 may be awarded to members associated with the same entity within a calendar year.
To apply for funding, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A Corpsmember actively serving in a Full Service and Conservation Corps member organization of The Corps Network.
- Individuals who have been accepted to participate in a Full Service and Conservation Corps member organization (applications may be submitted no more then 60 days prior to the start of their service term)
- Alum of a Full Service and Conservation Corps member organization (up to 6 months post service)
Funds can be requested by Corpsmembers directly, or in coordination with Corps staff. Payments from the Patricia Sagawa Corpsmember Relief Fund will be made to the Corpsmember only, not to Corps organizations. Assistance and guidance with the application process can be provided if needed. More information about the fund and the payment process to be provided.