Washington Conservation Corps
Position title :Americorps Crew Member
Start Date :10/04/2021
End Date :09/08/2022
Type of Position :Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc :All regions of Washington state
State / Territory :Washington
Benefits :AmeriCorps, Education Award
Project/Program Focus :Forestry, Habitat Restoration, Trails
Position Description :
Washington Conservation Corps (WCC) is recruiting AmeriCorps members for field crews across the state! The WCC provides environmental experience, field skills, and training opportunities for young adults (ages 18-25) and military veterans.
Serving on a WCC crew means spending your days outdoors, in all types of weather, accomplishing projects that restore and enhance critical landscapes across Washington. Members serve on a crew of five, along with an experienced supervisor who provides training, mentorship, and development opportunities. Our field crews are located across the state, focusing on every aspect of environmental restoration and trail enhancement. From backcountry trail crews to urban restoration crews – we have an opportunity for you!
Safety measures for field activities will include continued physical distancing, wearing a mask as needed, washing hands with soap regularly, and meeting respiratory protection requirements for travel in a crew truck*.
*this may include N-95, KN-95 and/or P-100 respirators, all of which require removal of facial hair for adequate fit
Members are also eligible for:
- Semi-monthly living allowance of $1,116
- Some crews travel for four or eight days at a time to complete projects (known as going on “spike”). Members also deploy across Washington or nationally to support communities after natural disasters, as opportunities arise. Travel expenses and food provided by WCC during spike projects or disaster response deployments.
- AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,345 (scholarship) upon successful completion of 11-month contract (and 1700 hours)
- Educational loan forbearance and interest payments through AmeriCorps
- Basic healthcare offered by WCC
- 40 hours/week, Monday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. When traveling, schedule could alternately be Thursday – Thursday (10-hour days) with six days off prior.
Position starts October 4, 2021 and ends September 8, 2022.
Job Duties :
Tasks vary crew to crew but some of our projects include:
- Habitat restoration and invasive species removal
- Large-scale planting projects
- Trail maintenance and construction
- Riparian area restoration
- Forest health and fire fuels reduction
Must be 18-25 years old, with exceptions for those with military service or with mental or sensory disabilities. Members must abide by Corporation for National and Community Service and WCC policies. Successful applicants will be required to verify their vaccination record or seek a medical or religious exemption for the 21-22 service term.
No previous field experience required.
To Apply :https://www.ecology.wa.gov/wcc
Contact Information :
For questions and inquiries please reach out to Taylor Belisle at [email protected]