What is The Corps Network?download
Mile High Youth Corps
Position title : Energy & Water Conservation Corpsmember 2020
Deadline to apply : 12/04/2019
Start Date : 01/21/2020
End Date : 12/11/2020
Type of Position : Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc : Denver
State / Territory : Colorado
Are you looking for a career in conservation or sustainability, but don’t know where to start? Do you want to get more involved in your community, get hands on technical experience, and work to make Denver more green?
Join us as a Corpsmember on our 2020 Energy and Water Conservation Crew. We need passionate, hard-working, community-focused individuals to complete energy and water conservation projects in low-income housing units throughout Denver, helping clients reduce their utility bills by installing high-efficiency fixtures in their homes, and educating them on the importance and benefits of saving energy and water. This is your opportunity to explore a career in conservation by gaining experience and technical skills in a safe and supportive environment.
Personal growth, friendship, and endurance thrive here. You’ll learn how to install toilets, showerheads, aerators, and other energy and water saving fixtures while educating the community about conservation and sustainability. Put your personal development at the top of your priority list, next to community service and environmental impact. Get paid biweekly while doing what you love and earn a scholarship at the end of the year.
Never installed a toilet? Don’t have a lot of outreach or conservation experience? That’s okay! Our crews begin the season with two weeks of in-house orientation, where you learn everything from toilet installation to getting your OSHA 10 and First Aid/CPR certifications. All we ask is that you bring your dedication to hard work, long days, a positive attitude, and a commitment to a term of service you’ll never forget.
- Complete energy assessments with crews of 2-3 other Corpsmembers in low income housing units throughout the Denver Metro Area
- Reach out to other nonprofits and community organizations throughout Denver to promote registration for Xcel’s Energy Assistance Program
- Connect directly with clients to sign them up for energy assessments, and educate each client on the importance of energy and water conservation
- Participate in educational activities on environmental stewardship, civic engagement, healthy living, leadership & career development, and social justice
- Must be between 18-24 years old and eligible to legally serve in the United States. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- High School Diploma or equivalency required.
- Able to commit to the entire term of service.
- This position may have access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service background check which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-service drug screen required (includes marijuana).
- Biweekly stipend: Earn a living stipend of $800 every two weeks
- AmeriCorps Education Award:Earn a scholarship of $5,368.50 upon successful completion of the two terms of service—one 900 hour term, and one 675 hour term of service, a total of an 11 month term. This award can be used to pay for a wide variety of education-related costs including tuition, supplies, equipment and/or payback of qualifying student loans. Individuals have 7 years to use the education award.
- Trainings: Hands-on technical training related to all projects and tools, leadership development, civic engagement, working with diverse clients, and educational opportunities through our community partners. Our team also receives industry-recognized trainings that can help secure future employment such as OSHA-10, First-Aid/CPR, and others.
- Health Insurance: Possible through Kaiser Permanente after 60-days of service. Corpsmembers will have a monthly share of the health insurance premium.
Visit us in person at 1801 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204. Questions? Call 303-433-1206 ext. 221. or email [email protected]
Schedule: This is a full-time temporary position, expected to begin on January 21, 2020 and end on December 11, 2020. Crews work 39.5 hour weeks, Mon-Thurs 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Fridays 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Schedule may vary depending on project needs.
MHYC is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages young people from a variety of backgrounds, racial/ethnic identities, LGBTQIA+ identities, socioeconomic statuses, and educational experiences to apply. We make every effort to be an radically inclusive organization.