- A Conversation on Equity and Access: Q&A with the Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce (CEW)
- The Corps Network’s 2015 Award Winners
- Jon Brito, 2014 Corpsmember of the Year, featured on AmeriCorps Alums blog
- A Tribute to Ladine Daniels, Jr.
- Industry Support Grows for Restoration Private-Public Partnership
What is The Corps Network?download
2009 Corspmember of the Year: Sarah LaRocque
***Update! Click here to read about what Sarah has been up to since she won her award.***
(Written in 2009)
Sarah joined Heart of Oregon in August 2007 after a tumultuous childhood filled with drugs and instability. Sarah was extremely motivated to improve her life through education and hard work, and was determined to make it on her own as a single mother.
After attending one quarter of GED Prep, Sarah earned her GED and became taking College Prep classes. While attending one of Heart of Oregon’s “Career Pathways” classes, she met the Human Resources Director of Bend Broadband, a local cable service provider. After Sarah completed her term at Heart of Oregon, she reconnected with Bend Broadband and became one of their Customer Support Specialists.
As Sarah stated, “My main goal when I started was to be able to pay all my bills and start planning for my daughter’s future, but I thought that was too far of a dream for me. Now I realize that all I needed was the right guidance and constant reassurance that anything can be done. My life is better because I took that first step by myself, and after that I had my new family to hold my hand.”