What is The Corps Network?download
Western Colorado Conservation Corps
Position title : Women's Fire Corps Member
Deadline to apply : 03/01/2019
Start Date : 04/01/2019
End Date : 11/30/2019
Type of Position : Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc : Grand Junction
State / Territory : Colorado
Western Colorado Conservation Corps was established in 1999 as a program of Mesa Youth Services. Western Colorado Conservation Corps is a non-profit, Americorps-affiliated organization which makes it our mission to serve youth in a conservation-minded service and educational experience. We operate in 4 counties Mesa, Delta, Montrose & Gunnison county. WCCC partners with public land managing agencies such as the Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, Colorado State Parks and Wildlife, and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, to provide world-class public land improvement projects for WCCC Corpsmembers.
WCCC, in partnership with the BLM, offers an excellent opportunity for you THIS Spring!! You will earn your S212 (Wildland Fire Chainsaws), S130 (Firefighter Training), S190 (Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior), and your red card during two weeks of training. First Aid training will also be provided. This experience will give you on the job training for a career in wildland firefighting and an opportunity to be a part of a groundbreaking group of diverse women.
Each crew will consist of 7 members, 2 assistant leaders & 1 full leader. Crews will work and camp in front country and back country locations in all types of weather conditions. Among other various projects, project work will include habitat restoration and fuels reduction.
This position will be based out of our Grand Junction office. This is not a 9-5 job, rather an experience where long hours and extended time away from your home base are to be expected. Serving as a Crew Member at WCCC means having passion for service to others, for wild lands and wild places, for personal growth, or for any number of WCCC’s values. Crews will camp for most of their term, oftentimes in remote locations in varied terrain and in all weather conditions. Primary work will include habitat restoration and fuels mitigation with the potential for fire response and prescribed burning – with a heavy emphasis in chainsaw use.
- Must be willing and able to camp at least 4 nights per week
- Successfully complete new Corps Member Orientation and CPR/First Aid Training
- Complete conservation projects throughout Western Colorado
- Must be motivated, responsible, and have a positive attitude
- Willing to cook at camp site when necessary
- Must participate in WCCC education program
- Participate in WCCC wide volunteer events
- Performs basic fireline activities such as line constructions, hose layout, operations of pumps and accessories, lopping and scattering the fuels using hand tool and holding, patrolling, monitoring and mop-up operations.
- Moves dirt, chops brush, small trees, etc. to construct fire line.
- Is responsible for observing the rules of wildland firefighting safety.
- Applies practices and techniques to minimize resource damage.
- High school degree, GED, or willingness to work towards obtaining a GED
- Minimum age of 18
- US Citizenship or lawful permanent US Resident
- Ability to pass National Standards for Wildland Firefighting; including Pack Test and relevant Medical Screenings
- Ability to hike 3-12 miles per day in terrain that can be steep, rocky or uneven, often wearing a 45lb backpack while carrying tools and sometimes backpacking with full packs of 60 – 70lbs
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds repeatedly and operate a chainsaw on a regular basis
- Ability to pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Available for duration of entire term of service; commitment to completing term
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Strong service ethic and desire to serve the community and the environment
- Willingness to work long, hard hours in all weather conditions; ability to be away on overnight trips for up to 14 days at a time
- $1566.14 AmeriCorps Education Award
- $888.00 semimonthly living allowance
To Apply : http://www.wcccpartners.org