Vermont Youth Conservation Corps
Position title :Conservation Crew Leader
Deadline to apply :Applications accepted on rolling basis
Type of Position :Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc :Richmond
State / Territory :Vermont
Benefits :AmeriCorps, Education Award, Housing – Primarily Camping, Student Loan Forbearance
Project/Program Focus :Habitat Restoration, Invasive Species Mngmt, Trails, Young Adult Programs (18+), Youth Programs (<18)
Attachments/Supplemental Materials :22-Conservation-Crew-Leader.pdf
Organization/Program Description :
VYCC’s Conservation Program engages young people in hands-on projects that benefit Vermont’s environment and communities. The work of a Conservation Crew includes trail construction and maintenance, carpentry, water quality improvement, and forest management. Conservation Camping Crews and Pro Crews tackle projects all across Vermont, moving from one project to another as they work and live together as a group for weeks at a time. Conservation Day Crews are rooted in a community—either Richmond or Woodstock for 2022—and work but do not live together as a group. Conservation Crew Leaders are essential to the success of any Conservation Crew and their efforts have a significant impact on habitat, water quality, and outdoor recreation in Vermont.
Position Description :
VYCC is seeking Crew Leaders who want to have a positive impact in Vermont while
inspiring others to do the same. A successful Crew Leader is able to foster an inclusive
and supportive crew community, help Crew Members navigate challenges and celebrate
successes, and provide opportunities for personal and professional growth. Creating and
maintaining a healthy crew culture is a top priority for Crew Leaders.
Crew Leaders work with their crews to complete trail, water quality,
carpentry/construction, and forest projects.
Crew Leader positions start in April, May, or August – join us for any combination of seasons. Find a schedule that fits for YOU!
Conservation Crew Leaders can lead Youth Crews, Young Adult AmeriCorps Crews, or
Pro Crews. Crew Leaders support Crew Members by helping them with on the job
training and skill development. Each crew type has a unique balance of work and
learning. Youth Crews are focused on learning project skills. AmeriCorps Young Adult
Crews balance technical work and learning. Pro Crews focus on producing high quality
work with some skill building along the way.
Youth Crew Leaders work with 15-18 year olds, 7:30-4:30, Monday-Friday. They will also
lead volunteer groups on conservation projects once a week.
Young Adult AmeriCorps Leaders work with 18-26 year olds on camping crews. They
are with their crews 24 hours a day, working during the day and supporting them at
their campsite at night. On days off, Leaders have camping accommodations at VYCC
and will not be responsible for their crew.
Pro Crew Leaders will work with 18+ year olds. They may have the option to camp with
their crew but their supervisory responsibilities only occur during the work day.
Read a full job description on our website.
Job Duties :
Crew Teambuilding, Education & Supervision
• Follow and uphold VYCC policies and procedures to maintain a safe worksite
• Create a crew culture that prioritizes physical and emotional safety
• Foster teamwork among Crew Members, lead by example, and support Crew
Members as they navigate challenges and successes
• Instruct Crew Members on topics including proper tool use and care, camp living, and
personal care while in the field
• Be part of a team made up of diverse individuals
• Work hard in all types of weather and environments
• Ability to adapt, grow and move outside of comfort zones
Crew Member Growth
• Foster and model a supportive and encouraging environment both on the job site and in camp
• Conduct feedback meetings that help Crew Members set goals, assess growth, and celebrate progress
• Engage with VYCC staff on setting goals and charting personal and professional progress
• Maintain production, quality, and safety standards for crew
• Effectively communicate with VYCC staff and project partner to ensure completion of project goals
• Perform physical work safely in all weather conditions
• Complete weekly reports on project accomplishments
• At least 20 years of age for Youth Day Crews and Young Adult Camping Crews
• At least 21 years of age for Pro Crews
• Excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills
• Experience in risk assessment and being responsible for the health and safety of others
• Experience in providing and receiving feedback, and creating a culture of learning and
• Willingness to undergo a criminal background check
• CPR Certification & Wilderness First Aid (VYCC provides a WFA course pre-season)
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record for at least 3 years
There are additional technical skill qualifications for Pro Crew positions. View those on our website or the position description attached to this listing.
To Apply :https://www.vycc.org/apply/lead/
Contact Information :
Aimee, Recruitment and Alumni Manager
Additional Information :