What is The Corps Network?download
The Vermont Youth Conservation Corps
Position title : Conservation Trail or Parks Crew Leader
Start Date : 8/22/2019
End Date : 12/29/2019
Type of Position : Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc : Richmond
State / Territory : Vermont
We, the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps, believe young people change the world. Youth and young adults (ages 15-24) join VYCC for practical and hands-on work, personal growth, and deep connection to the natural world by working on farm and conservation crews across the state. Through this work, it’s VYCC’s mission to teach young people personal responsibility through meaningful work that connects us to the land, community, and one another.
Over 250 young people will get paid this summer and fall to be Crew Members or Crew leaders as part of our award winning Conservation and Farm programs. #LetsDigIn
Come join one of our long term Crew Leaders for the fall season! You’ll be on a team, co-leading one of our Conservation Spike AmeriCorps Crew Members starting on August 22, 2019. Our Crew Leaders are not AmeriCorps, but supervise and support AmeriCorps Members. Crews are staffed with 3-6 Crew Members (all young adults) and two Crew Leaders. We are hiring for three different crews:
- Parks Restoration Crew will work to restore historic infrastructure and build new structures with Vermont’s Forest Parks and Recreation Department with projects focusing on carpentry and masonry.
- Appalachian Trail Crew – This crew will work along the 100+ year old Appalachian Trail camping along the way. They will work on a variety of trail projects from rock work to trail clearing.
- Trail Crew – This crew will be working both in the Green (VT) and White (NH) Mountains, working from ridge lines to mountain bike trails. J They will build new trails as well as improve current trail systems.
These are a residential crews camping near their work-site for 4-week sessions. Each session is broken up with a “recharge week”, where the Crew Members are able to take 5-7 days off. During each session break, VYCC provides education and training opportunities, such as Wilderness First Aid Certifications, if Corps Members want to join.
- Guide, mentor and coach with a Co-Crew Leader our fall Young Adult Conservation Crews (18+ years old)
- Crew Supervision, including facilitation of our education curriculum, maintaining positive morale, fostering teamwork, maintain an emotionally and physically safe work and living environment.
- Coordinate completion, communication, and performance of work projects with support of project sponsors and VYCC staff.
- Support Crew Member Development by fostering and creating supportive and encouraging work environment for your Crew Members, conduct education and training opportunities each week.
- Ability to uphold and enforce all VYCC rules and policies
- Ability to manage complex logistics
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record for at least 3 years
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR or equivalent
- At least 20 years of age
- Willingness to undergo a criminal background check
- Earn up to $585 per week
- Trainings and certifications, including but not limited to:
- Leave No Trace (c)
- Technical tool training including carpentry, dirt and stone work
- Equity and Inclusion
- Risk Assessment and Safety Management
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Farm fresh food from our farm.
- Housing (we have great tents!)
- One week session breaks (every 4 weeks), which include 2-3 days off to play in Vermont!
- Career and college advancement opportunities and pathway support
- Discounts and pro-deals at some of your favorite retailers including, Prana, Red Ants Pants, Lenny’s Shoe and Apparel and many others!
- Access to our robust Alumni network for networking and future adventures!
- Have you worked with us before? You may be eligible for our Simple IRA!