What is The Corps Network?download
The Student Conservation Association
Position title : Texas Fire Corps Project Leader
Deadline to apply : 12/15/2018
Start Date : 01/02/2019
End Date : 05/15/2019
Type of Position : Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc : Horseshoe Bend
State / Territory : Texas
SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land.
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Fire Corps programs in Horseshoe Bend, Texas.
Program Dates: January – May
Training Dates: 1/2/19 – 1/7/19
Manage a fire crew composed of young adults, located in Texas. Manage the team as they conduct prescribed burns and other fire management activities. Specifically, the Project Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Current Red Card and S-212 certifications preferred Firefighter Type 2
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: 1/2/19 – 1/11/19
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification (Wilderness First Responder preferred)
- Experience working with young adults, teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Preferred skill set: Experience leading fire crews, “red card” (Firefighter Type 2) certification, forestry, outdoor education and/or related subjects: plant identification; map & compass skills; camping skills; enthusiasm for the outdoors; and a sense of adventure.
Compensation: $600/week total salary, travel allowance, housing and meals provided.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org