What is The Corps Network?download
The Student Conservation Association
Position title : SCA Potomac River NWR- YCC Crew Leader
Deadline to apply : 05/01/2019
Start Date : 06/03/2019
End Date : 08/24/2019
Type of Position : Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc : Potomac River National Wildlife Refuge
State / Territory : Virginia
Founded in 1957 by Liz Putnam, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Our mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces.
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire students for the Potomac River NWR YCC program.
Program Dates: 6/16/2019 – 8/24/2019
Training Dates: 6/03/19-6/08/19 (mandatory paid training)
The YCC Crew Leader will be responsible for running the Youth Conservation Corps crew at Potomac River National Wildlife Refuge Complex. Youth Conservation Corps is a summer employment program for up to 8 local young men and women (ages 15-18) who work, earn and learn together doing outdoor conservation projects. YCC members complete meaningful projects that require hard work and cooperation. Work projects on the Refuge may include building and improving trails, removing invasive plants, and contributing to wildlife management programs. Enrollees also participate in educational activities. The YCC Crew Leader will lead the crew in their daily activities and be responsible for the administrative requirements for the crew, including reporting time and completing a narrative report of accomplishments. Members work M-F during normal business hours, commuting from home. Leader will have nights and weekends off. Housing is not provided for this position, and as such local leaders are preferred.
Specifically, as a Crew Leader you will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Experience with carpenty preferred
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be able to attend the Crew Leader training: 6/03/2019-6/13/2019
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in the program area
Compensation: $600/week total salary, paid training
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
$600/week total salary, paid training