What is The Corps Network?download
The Student Conservation Association
Position title : SCA DC Urban Tree House Crew Leader
Deadline to apply : 05/01/2019
Start Date : 06/03/2019
End Date : 08/16/2019
Type of Position : Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc : Washington, D.C.
State / Territory : District of Columbia
Founded in 1957 by Liz Putnam, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Our mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces.
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire interns working with DC’s Urban Tree House program. SCA’s DC Urban Tree House (UTH) provides free environmental education programs for DC urban youth (K-12). It gives DC youth the opportunity to have fun experiences in nature, become aware of their relationship with the environment, and participate in hands-on conservation projects outdoors.
Program Dates: June 19th – Aug 16th
Training Dates: June 3rd-13th (mandatory paid training)
- Responsible for daily management and supervision of SCA Environmental Education Interns
- Assist Program Coordinator in facilitating and leading environmental education activities for K-12th grade students.
- Develop curriculum and lesson plans
- Leader is responsible for managing work outcomes and intern dynamics
- Facilitate team operations: supplies & equipment, work schedule, and vehicles
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
- Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success/potential
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
- Ensure successful outcome and delivery of program
- Ensure compliance of SCA Risk Management policies/procedures
- Represent SCA in a positive and professional manner
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 3, 2019-June 13, 2019
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth and young adults (ages 4- 22),
- Teaching and/or environmental education experience
- Ability to spend 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Compensation: $625/week total salary, paid training
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
$625/week total salary, paid training