What is The Corps Network?download
The Student Conservation Association
Position title : SCA 2019 California Roving BLM Conservation Corps Team- Project Leader
Deadline to apply : 03/08/2019
Start Date : 04/08/2019
End Date : 11/09/2019
Type of Position : Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc : Roving- BLM Stations
State / Territory : California
Founded in 1957, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces.
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the California Roving Conservation Corps program.
Program Dates: 5/13/2019 – 11/9/2019
Training Dates: Tentatively: 4/8/2019 – 4/18/2019 (mandatory paid training)
As a Project Leader, you will oversee the management of a six-month conservation project in partnership with the Bureau of Land Management in Northern California. This project will aim to address the project needs of multiple field offices across the state.
The California Roving BLM Corps will travel to different California BLM field offices in the National Landscape Conservation System (NLCS) completing work projects at each site. Projects may include: restoration of Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) routes, data surveys of wilderness study areas, trail maintenance or construction projects, erosion control, water damage repair, facilities maintenance, fence construction or repair, and invasive species monitoring and/or removal. The team should be prepared for hard physical labor in difficult terrain with a wide range of weather conditions.
Field-life is rugged, and while in the field, members should expect to live without electricity, running water, and cell phone reception; additionally, while serving in the field, this program is alcohol free. Members will typically have 3-5 days off between projects. The crew’s housing will vary depending on the options available at their project sites. Members should be prepared to camp for much of this program. Occasionally, projects may require the crew to backpack into Wilderness Areas.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor,by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator,by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with youth or young adults 18-25 years of age, teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Chainsaw or Crosscut saw certification is a plus
- Backcountry living experience is a plus
- Must be able to attend Crew Leader training, tentatively: 4/8/2019 – 4/18/2019
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: $600/week total salary, paid training, benefits eligible (health, dental, vision, retirement
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
$600/week total salary, paid training, benefits eligible (health, dental, vision, retirement