What is The Corps Network?download
The Student Conservation Association
Position title : SCA Pittsburgh Summer Youth Conservation Crew Leader
Deadline to apply : 04/01/2019
Start Date : 06/03/2019
End Date : 08/09/2019
Type of Position : Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc : Pittsburgh
State / Territory : Pennsylvania
Founded in 1957, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces.
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school aged students for the 2019 Pittsburgh Summer Community Program.
Program Dates: June 24th through August 9th
Training Dates: expected: June 3rd through June 24th (mandatory paid training)
As Crew Leader, you will be working with a co-lead to guide and inspire a team of 11 high school aged youth from Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. The crew will be 60-75% service work such as trail building, habitat restoration, and erosion control, and 25-40% teaching environmental education and job readiness skills. Project monitoring, budgeting, and data collection will also be required throughout the season.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor,by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator,by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with and supervising youth or young adults [14-18 years old]
- Background in teaching, environmental education, social work, psychology, or other helping profession.
- Experience with conservation work skills or manual labor skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 6 hours per day, exposed to the elements and occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be able to attend paid Crew Leader training: expected June 3rd through June 24th
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: $600/week for training and program weeks
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
$600/week for training and program weeks