The Nature Conservancy
Position title :Restoration Crew Member
Deadline to apply :03/11/2022
Type of Position :Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc :Merrillville
Organization/Program Description :
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
In addition to the minimum requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Passion, innovation, and diversity are all key components to advancing our Mission and we encourage you to apply.
Position Description :
The Nature Conservancy in Indiana has a long history of protecting some of Indiana’s best natural habitats. The beautiful southern rim of Lake Michigan contains some fantastic natural areas including the Indiana Dunes National and State Parks, as well as incredibly diverse state and privately-owned remnants of dune and swale habitat. The oak savanna and wetlands located here harbor the greatest per acre species diversity anywhere in the state of Indiana. Situated within an urban industrial area at the outskirts of Chicago, there are great opportunities here to restore and maintain natural areas that add to the quality of life for the local community. Our Restoration Action Team is vital to our efforts to meet local and global goals to protect land and water, while engaging the community through events aimed at connecting people with nature.
This is a full-time, temporary position starting in May 2022, lasting approximately 2-years, and based in Merrillville, Indiana. It includes a competitive benefits package and pays $18.52 an hour.
Job Duties :
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- May help organize and participate in community outreach events.
- May work under minimal/distant supervision and make some independent decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- Work schedules may be subjected to unusual or extended hours with an approximate start time of 7:00 a.m., depending on weather conditions and time of year.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations for long periods of time in isolated settings, on difficult and hazardous terrain and wetlands, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain; and ability to carry a 35-pound backpack sprayer.
- Will be exposed to hazards such as extreme heat and cold; biting and stinging insects; ticks; and poison ivy. Personal protective equipment/supplies will be provided, as necessary.
- High-school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe, efficient manner (lawnmower, brush-cutter, chainsaw, etc).
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (ex: first aid, CPR, herbicide/pesticide application).
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in land management or related field.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- PC and/or mobile device familiarity, including database knowledge or understanding.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.