The Nature Conservancy
Position title :Grand Calumet River Restoration Crew Member
Deadline to apply :03/11/2022
Type of Position :Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc :Merrillville
Organization/Program Description :
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
In addition to the minimum requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Passion, innovation, and diversity are all key components to advancing our Mission and we encourage you to apply.
Position Description :
The Nature Conservancy in Indiana has a long history of protecting some of Indiana’s best natural habitats. In northern Lake County, Indiana, The Nature Conservancy owns or helps manage more than 500 acres containing a mosaic of rich habitats, including globally rare dune and swale habitat. Restoration efforts are geared towards helping delist the Grand Calumet River as an Area of Concern by reinstating beneficial uses related to wildlife and wildlife habitat. Our Restoration Action Team is vital to our efforts to meet local and global goals to protect land and water, while connecting people with nature. This is a unique opportunity to work in an area that contains more than 30 percent of Indiana’s rare and endangered species, while expanding your conservation knowledge and skills.
This is a full-time, temporary position starting in May 2022, lasting approximately 9-months, and based in Merrillville, Indiana. It includes a competitive benefits package and pays $15.99 an hour.
Job Duties :
- Works under close or infrequent supervision.
- Work schedules may be subjected to unusual or extended hours with an approximate start time of 7:00 a.m., depending on weather conditions and time of year.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations for long periods of time in isolated settings, on difficult and hazardous terrain and wetlands, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain, and ability to carry a 35-pound backpack sprayer.
- Will be exposed to hazards such as extreme heat and cold, biting, and stinging insects, ticks, and poison ivy. Personal protective equipment/supplies will be provided, as necessary.
- High-school diploma or GED and 6 months of related experience or education in science-related field.
- Experience performing physical work.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (ex: first aid, CPR, herbicide/pesticide application).
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge of Northwest Indiana plants/community types.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe, efficient manner (lawnmower, brush-cutter, chainsaw, etc).
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
To Apply :https://careers.nature.org/psc/tnccareers/APPLICANT/APPL/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=51045&PostingSeq=1&PortalActualURL=https%3a%2f%2fcareers.nature.org%2fpsc%2ftnccareers%2fAPPLICANT%2fAPPL%2fc%2fHRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL%3fPage%3dHRS_APP_JBPST_FL%26Action%3dU%26FOCUS%3dApplicant%26SiteId%3d1%26JobOpeningId%3d51045%26PostingSeq%3d1&PortalRegistryName=APPLICANT&PortalServletURI=https%3a%2f%2fcareers.nature.org%2fpsp%2ftnccareers%2f&PortalURI=https%3a%2f%2fcareers.nature.org%2fpsc%2ftnccareers%2f&PortalHostNode=APPL&NoCrumbs=yes&PortalKeyStruct=yes
Contact Information :
To apply for job ID 51045, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Applications, including resume and separate cover letter, must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 PM EST on March 11, 2022.
ATTENTION Current TNC Employees – please apply through the Careers page within your PeopleSoft account to ensure you are listed as an internal candidate.
Additional Information :
All TNC staff based in the U.S. or a U.S. Territory are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of receiving one of the vaccines approved in the U.S. (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) shall be a condition of employment and must be provided prior to starting work. TNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and reasonable accommodations for candidates who cannot be vaccinated due to a valid medical or religious reason or claim an exemption under applicable state law will be considered.