The Great Basin Institute
Position title :Restoration Crew Member (Fall/Winter) - Las Vegas
Type of Position :Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc :Las Vegas
State / Territory :California, Nevada
Benefits :AmeriCorps, Childcare, Dental Insurance, Education Award, Health Insurance, Student Loan Forbearance, Vision Insurance
Project/Program Focus :Forestry, Habitat Restoration
Organization/Program Description :
The Great Basin Institute is an interdisciplinary field studies organization that promotes environmental research, education, and service throughout the West. Founded in 1998 at the University of Nevada, GBI advances applied research to support science-based adaptive management of public lands. The Institute is dedicated to the promotion of science through field studies programs, conservation practices, and public outreach.
Position Description :
Spend a season or more serving and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while completing habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resource and conservation careers. Projects may include trail construction and maintenance, hazardous fuels reduction, and habitat restoration.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working outdoors in challenging conditions, have prior experience camping, and share the belief that everyone should feel safe and included in the conservation community. They will also share the mission to be a part of an affirming crew culture with members of diverse identities, experiences, and backgrounds.
Training and Field Experience:
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Leave No Trace (LNT) training
- Trail construction and maintenance training for trail crews
- USFS A-Feller certification for forestry crews
Job Duties :
- Building and maintaining trails, restoring and improving wildlife habitat, and reducing hazardous fuels in our forests and public lands;
- Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
- Making a commitment of national service to our landscapes and communities;
- Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
- Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
- Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC Administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
- Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
- Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
- Participating in in-field education sessions;
- Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
- Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
- Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
- Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
- Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
- Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Be a US citizen
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).*
- All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check
Additional Benefits :
|Compensation and Benefits:|
|This is an AmeriCorps position; candidates will receive a living allowance dependent on their length of service. The living allowance is a fixed amount, not an hourly wage or a salary.
TOTAL COMPENSATION BIWEEKLY: $1020 (pre-tax) – see breakdown below.
Segal Education Award:
Student Loan Forbearance:
Interest Accrual Repayment:
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility: