The Great Basin Institute
Position title :Latinx Desert Resource Crew Member
Deadline to apply :08/22/2022
Start Date :08/22/2022
End Date :11/18/2022
Type of Position :Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc :Twentynine Palms
State / Territory :California
Benefits :AmeriCorps, Dental Insurance, Education Award, Health Insurance, Student Loan Forbearance, Vision Insurance
Project/Program Focus :Forestry, Habitat Restoration, Trails
Organization/Program Description :
The Great Basin Institute is an interdisciplinary field studies organization that promotes environmental research, education, and service throughout the West. Founded in 1998 at the University of Nevada, GBI advances applied research to support science-based adaptive management of public lands. The Institute is dedicated to the promotion of science through field studies programs, conservation practices, and public outreach.
Nevada Conservation Corps harnesses the energy and idealism of young conservationists to meet the needs of Nevada public lands and communities. As a federally-funded AmeriCorps program, the NCC promotes direct service on public lands throughout the west. The NCC transcends racial, ethnic and economic barriers by mobilizing a cadre of corps members comprised of diverse backgrounds. Students and emerging professionals are provided with opportunities to make meaningful contributions toward protecting Nevada’s natural heritage while gaining valuable work experience in the natural resource management field.
Position Description :
The Nevada Conservation Corps is seeking five (5) AmeriCorps members to serve on the Latinx Desert Resource Crew based in Joshua Tree National Park. This crew will have the opportunity to gain various perspectives, technical and leadership skills, and experiences while supporting different conservation projects at the Park. Projects will include management of cultural resources, trails/recreation, and wildlife as well as projects with educational outreach/interpretation. Our core purpose is to provide opportunities for young Latinx adults interested in conservation careers to gain valuable skills and experience success. We believe diversity is a key source of strength for our community, and we strive to create a safe and empowering environment for all participants.
Location: Joshua Tree National Park
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an AmeriCorps position; candidates will receive a living allowance dependent on their length of service. The living allowance is a fixed amount, not an hourly wage or a salary. The allowance is paid to members in biweekly installments throughout their term of service. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service members shall receive an additional education award also dependent on the length of service that can be used for paying off student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
•Living Allowance: approximately $800 every two weeks before taxes
•Per Diem:$15/day spent in the field. This is in addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $120.00 biweekly. Crews typically combine per diem funds and shop/prepare meals as a team.
•Housing Stipend: In addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $100.00 biweekly.
•TOTAL COMPENSATION BIWEEKLY: $1020 (pre-tax)
Segal Education Award:
After successfully completing an AmeriCorps term of service members are eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. For this term of service the education award amount will be $3,172.50. You can use the award to repay qualified student loans and to pay current educational expenses at eligible institutions of higher education and training programs.
Student Loan Forbearance:
If you are currently paying on any federal student loans you have the option to put those loans into forbearance during your time as an AmeriCorps volunteer, that will allow you to cease payments while serving.
Interest Accrual Repayment:
As AmeriCorps alum, you are eligible to have the National Service Trust pay all or a portion of the interest that accumulated on your qualified student loan(s) during your term of service. These payments are made in addition to the Education Award, and are not deducted from your Education Award balance. To be eligible to have accrued interest paid: The loan must have been placed in forbearance for the service period, and you must have successfully completed a term of service and received an Education Award.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility:
AmeriCorps Volunteers qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
Limited Health, Dental and Vision Insurance will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute.
Job Duties :
- Building and maintaining trails, restoring and improving wildlife habitat, and reducing hazardous fuels in our forests and public lands;
- Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
- Making a commitment of national service to our landscapes and communities;
- Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
- Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
- Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC Administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
- Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
- Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
- Participating in in-field education sessions;
- Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
- Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
- Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
- Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
- Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
- Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Be a US citizen
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).
- All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.