What is The Corps Network?download
The Forest Stewards Guild
Position title :Forest Stewards Youth Corps Crew Leader
Deadline to apply :Applications accepted on rolling basis
Start Date :06/01/2021
End Date :08/06/2021
Type of Position :Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc :Mountainair and Grants
State / Territory :New Mexico
Benefits :Housing – Primarily Non-Camping, Public Land Corps Hiring Authority
Project/Program Focus :Forestry, Habitat Restoration, Historic Preservation, Invasive Species Mngmt, Trails, Wildfire Mngmt, Wildlife Mngmt, Youth Programs (<18)
Organization/Program Description :
The Forest Stewards Youth Corps (FSYC) is a program of the Forest Stewards Guild that provides employment and job training for youth in rural communities around New Mexico. FSYC has summer and fall programs with crews based out of U.S. Forest Service Ranger Stations and Jemez Pueblo. For more information about the FSYC program please go to http://foreststewardsguild.org/fsyc/
There are two Crew Leader positions available. One is based in Grants, NM. The other is based in Mountainair, NM and has no-cost housing available on-site. There will be a Crew Leader training from June 2nd-June 4th.
Position Description :
- Position lasts from June 1st- August 6th (10 weeks)
- Mandatory overnight trainings 6/2 – 6/4
- Will supervise 4 Crew Members
- Duty stations are Grants and Mountainair, NM
- Schedule: 40 hours/week. Crews typically work five 8-hour days or four 10-hour days.
- Pay rate: $15.00/hour
Job Duties :
- Supervise 4 crew members (16-19) performing various natural resource management projects.
- Provide training and mentorship for crew members.
- Transport the crew from their duty station to project sites in Guild provided truck.
- Deliver FSYC curriculum covering topics including leave no trace principles, map reading, professional skills (job applications etc.)
- Timely completion of Crew Leader paperwork including timesheets, project accomplishments, partner in-kind contributions, and crew member evaluations.
- Experience in a leadership position working with youth.
- Ability to perform strenuous work outdoors for long hours in rough country and inclement weather.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Pass a background check.
- Possess a valid drivers license and safe driving record.
- Experience performing natural resource management projects.
Additional Benefits :
- No-cost housing is available for the Mountainair based Crew Leader.
- Training provided, including first-aid and CPR.
To Apply :https://forms.gle/ngmtBTB5Lvs2sH488
Contact Information :
Please contact Matt Piccarello with any questions
Email: [email protected]
Additional Information :
- Positions are open until filled.
- Potential for extending season into the fall through November 19th.