The Corps Network
Position title :Communications Associate
Type of Position :Staff (Full-Time)
Town, City, Park, etc :Washington
State / Territory :District of Columbia
Benefits :Dental Insurance, Health Insurance, Vision Insurance
Organization/Program Description :
Established in 1985, The Corps network is the National Association of Service and Conservation Corps. Corps are locally-based organizations that engage young adults (generally ages 16 – 25) and veterans (up to age 35) in service projects that address recreation, conservation, disaster response, and community needs. Through a term of service that could last from a few months to a year, Corps participants – or “Corpsmembers” – gain work experience and develop in-demand skills. Corpsmembers are compensated with a stipend or living allowance and often receive an education award or scholarship upon completing their service.
Position Description :
Do you want to work with an organization that provides a positive influence in the lives of young people and makes a significant impact on communities and the environment? Do you have strong writing skills and a keen eye for design and detail? Then this may be the job for you!
The Corps Network (TCN) seeks a full-time Communications Associate that will report to the Communications Manager in our Washington, DC, office, the Communications Associate will conceptualize, research and write short and long-form content such as press releases, fact sheets, social media posts and material for The Corps Network’s website and newsletters. Additionally, the Communications Associate will take a prominent role in helping manage and grow The Corps Network’s social media presence and email marketing efforts. The Communications Associate will also assist in event planning and implementation, and will help prepare visual content, including videos, promotional materials, and graphics for print and online.
The selected candidate for this position will benefit from gaining experience with a wide range of communications tools. This position will provide the opportunity to: have his/her/their written work published online; gain experience in social media best practices; manage the back-end of a website; and learn the basics of various software programs commonly used in the communications field.
Job Duties :
- Researching and writing blog posts, press releases, opinion pieces.
- Helping create handouts/fact sheets and website graphics using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Posting and scheduling messages on social media (To include collecting stories and news from our 130+ Corps across the country).
- Helping produce email newsletters.
- Managing email newsletter lists.
- Assisting with basic maintenance of The Corps Network’s website
- Assisting with various communications activities related to The Corps Network’s Moving Forward Initiative (MFI). This could include researching and writing original blog posts, posting on social media, distributing resources, etc.
- Assisting with planning and managing webinars and other virtual events.
- Assisting with managing the Communications Working Group for communications and marketing staff at our Corps (planning regular calls, coordinating with guest speakers, etc.).
- Assisting with preparation for The Corps Network’s annual National Conference (compiling PowerPoint presentations, help with email marketing, workshop planning, etc.).
- Assisting with preparation for The Corps Network’s annual Great Outdoors Day of Service (helping plan and implement social media campaign, email marketing, etc.).
- Occasionally assisting with photography and videography projects.
- Helping build and maintain The Corps Network’s resource library.
- Bachelor’s or associate’s degree in communications, journalism or related area of study. May substitute equivalent combination of education, skills and experience.
- 1-2 years of previous experience in communications, journalism or related area.
- Previous Corps experience preferred, but not required.
- Excellent writing and research skills. Blogging and/or journalism experience a plus.
- Enthusiasm for social media, basic knowledge of social media best practices, and experience using platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Experience with Mailchimp or other email distribution platforms a plus.
- Photo editing and graphic design skills. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Photography and/or videography experience a plus.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience with event planning and implementation.
- Interest in environmental issues, conservation, volunteering, youth development, national service, and green jobs.
- Experience on Capitol Hill or interest in government relations a plus.
Additional Benefits :
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Contact Information :
Candidates can apply for this position through Indeed.
Additional Information :
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Do you have previous Corps experience? If so, how many years?
- Are you willing to complete a background check?