What is The Corps Network?download
Southwest Conservation Corps
Position title : Four Corners Program Coordinator - Durango, CO
Deadline to apply : 02/15/2020
Start Date : 03/15/2020
Type of Position : Staff (Full-Time)
Town, City, Park, etc : Durango
State / Territory : Colorado
The Southwest Conservation Corps (SCC) is a non-profit service organization built on the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) that operated from 1933-1942. SCC provides youth and young adults opportunities to complete conservation projects on public lands throughout the Four Corners region. While serving with SCC, members receive training on job skills, conflict resolution, leadership, teamwork, and environmental stewardship. Programs are developed using a step ladder approach to provide a progression of skill development based on a member’s needs. The Four Corners office runs field programs for three seasons, April-November being our peak season during which the Four Corners office runs as many as 10-12 crews at a time. During the winter, staff focus on program development, hiring and planning for the next year.
The Program Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to: Recruit and select Corps Members and Crew Leaders for all Adult and Veteran Fire Corps crews; Participate in the planning and execution of crew leader and member trainings; Coordinate communication between the field and the office; Support and mentor all field staff, including seasonal Field Supervisors, Crew Leaders and Members; Ensure crews are both supported and prepared to maintain safety, program integrity, and quality projects in the field. Both office and field operations are required by this position and a flexible schedule is a must!
Recruiting, Interviewing and Selection of Corps Members and Leaders
- Work as part of an SCC recruiting and member development team to develop and implement a crew member recruiting strategy.
- Establish and maintain a database of all recruiting contacts.
- Participate in recruiting visits to schools, community partners, etc.
- Coordinate and complete interviewing, selection, & placement of 80-100 Corps Members annually.
- Assist with Crew Leader and CLDP interviewing and hiring.
- Work in an office setting. Facilitate and manage the submission of all corps member hiring, program and AmeriCorps paperwork.
Program Oversight & Field Support
- Field staff mentorship – provide technical expertise, guidance and emotional support to crew leaders and crews in the field. Identify positive working solutions to crew management issues for crew leaders.
- Ensure project quality and quantity by providing technical assistance to and accountability of crew leaders in the field.
- Model risk management procedures in the field to create a safe working environment.
- Facilitating post-hitch check-ins with crew leaders.
- Enforce all SCC Policies and Procedures.
- Comfortability & flexibility with an ever-shifting work schedule.
- Respond to crew emergency situations.
- Participate in an on-call system for crews in the field.
- Assist Logistics Manager with seasonal operations as needed.
Development & Training
- Assist the program staff to develop and implement training including technical trails, crosscut, chainsaw, leadership and facilitation skills.
- Being a role model and mentor – providing encouragement, guidelines, and supervision to crew leaders throughout an 8-week training period and continuing into the field season.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with community and project partners.
- Work closely with administrative staff to ensure compliance of paperwork tasks and AmeriCorps requirements for yourself, Crew Leaders and Corps Members.
- Manage multiple databases for recruitment, selection, payroll, and AmeriCorps information and onboarding.
- Manage and maintain accurate reporting of all necessary information and complete program reports including field site visits, recruiting notes, and field/yard inventories.
- Work within an established program budget; manage credit cards, receipts, and financial reporting.
- Assist Program Manager with end of year reporting.
- Excellent communication, leadership, mentoring, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors.
- Strong conflict resolution and team building skills.
- Experienced skill level in all or most of the following: trail construction & maintenance, crosscut/chainsaw operation & maintenance, hand tool maintenance, fencing, herbicide application, GIS, managing front country and backcountry projects.
- Ability to teach and plan and facilitate trainings for the above skills.
- Demonstrated good judgement and problem solving in emergency situations.
- Flexibility, adaptability and capacity to work in a fluid, changing work environment.
- Able to work independently and motivate others.
- Computer literate (MS Word, Excel, & Outlook proficient).
- Clean and insurable driver’s record & valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass Conservation Legacy’s criminal history background checks.
- Desire to spend time in the company of youth and young adults; ability to instigate fun!
- Leadership experience with Conservation Legacy or other youth conservation corps.
- Demonstrated managerial experience.
- Relevant medical certification (WFR, WEMT, EMT or OEC).
- Relevant bachelor’s degree.
- Frequently required to walk, sit, talk, hear, and use hands to operate tools & controls.
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required including close vision and ability to focus.
- Required to drive an SCC vehicle.
- Occasional overnight and weekend travel.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary: Grade B $35,568-$43,000
Benefits: Full benefits as per Conservation Legacy personnel policies
To Apply : https://sccorps.org/work-with-us
For questions, constact Lisa Slupianek, [email protected]
Please send a resume, cover letter and at least three professional references to Lisa Slupianek, [email protected]
Position open until filled.
Southwest Conservation Corps is a program of Conservation Legacy.