What is The Corps Network?download
Southwest Conservation Corps
Position title :Los Valles Crew Leader
Deadline to apply :03/23/2021
Start Date :03/30/2021
End Date :11/12/2021
Town, City, Park, etc :Salida
State / Territory :Colorado
Project/Program Focus :Trails,Young Adult Programs (18+)
Organization/Program Description :
The Southwest Conservation Corps (SCC) is a non-profit, AmeriCorps-affiliated organization, whose mission is to empower individuals to positively impact their lives, their communities and the environment. The SCC Los Valles office is located on the ancestral lands of the Ute people, in Salida Colorado, and serves the Arkansas River Valley and the San Luis Valley: the two valleys, or los valles. SCC Los Valles supports youth (ages 14-17), adult (ages 18-30), and veteran (ages 21-35) fire programs Adult Program engages motivated young adults, ages 18 – 30, to complete challenging and impactful conservation and service projects. Projects may include, trail construction & maintenance, habitat improvement, invasive species mitigation, hazardous fuels reduction, habitat restoration, and local environmental service projects. Crews may also complete technical and/or specialized projects depending on project partner needs, including disaster relief if the opportunity arises.
Position Description :
Reports to:Program Director
Locations: Salida, CO
Status: Seasonal, Full-time, Exempt
Start/end date: March 30, 2021 – November 1, 2021
Wages: $685 / week
Benefits: If position is 26+ weeks, medical benefits option available. Food provided while in the field, uniforms, USFS-recognized S-212 Chainsaw training, & other development opportunities
SCC Los Valles Crews consists of 6 members and 2 leaders. Crews work in front and backcountry locations in all weather conditions. Standard schedule consists of 8 days on-hitch and 6 days off with some exception. On-hitch, crews camps together, prepare all meals together, and work together as a group to complete all projects and chores. SCC does not provide accommodations off-hitch and Crew Leaders will be responsible for their own accommodations during that time.
Crew Leaders will lead crews in completing technical conservation projects while instilling interpersonal skills and leadership skills. Crew leaders will also be responsible for leading crews in environmental stewardship, risk management, trauma-informed care, and restorative justice. A variety of soft skills and technical competencies are required to be successful in this role.
Job Duties :
Responsibilities & Core Competencies:
Leadership & Mentorship
- Embody equity, ensure inclusion, and embrace diversity (equity, inclusion, and diversity) within the corps. This includes but is not limited to:
- Lead and participate in Land Acknowledgements that recognize Indigenous communities who have historically and continue to steward the Los Valles region.
- Employ a restorative justice approach to disciplinary incidents
- Facilitate and engage in environmental education that addresses the fraught history of public lands in the United States.
- Employ a trauma-informed approach to building crew dynamics
- Be accountable to ensuring the SCC Los Valles community centers the experiences of members of historically marginalized populations, including Black, Indigenous, Queer, Trans and Women of Color (QTBIPOC)
- Foster 21st century work skills in corps members, i.e.: collaboration & teamwork, creativity & imagination, critical thinking, problem-solving, flexibility & adaptability
- Model strong communication and conflict transformation skills
- Frequently required to walk, hike, sit, talk and listen.
- Required to use hands to operate objects and tools, and to reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to focus.
- Required to drive an SCC vehicle
- Enforce all SCC policies. SCC is a substance free work environment. All must refrain from the use of tobacco products, vaping, alcohol, and drugs while in the program.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Outdoor leadership experience with youth and/or young adults
- Physically fit and able to work 40-50 hr work weeks
- High School diploma or GED certificate
- Must hold current/relevant medical certification (WFR, WEMT, or OEC) with CPR/AED
- Must be 21, or have had a driver’s license for 3 consecutive years with a clean driving record (insurable by SCC), and a current driver’s license
- Experience with SCC or other conservation corps
- Chainsaw experience
- Experience working with trauma-impacted populations
To Apply :https://sccorps.org/leadership-opportunities
Contact Information :
For SCC Los Valles, equity is a core value. To put power behind this statement, we prioritize and encourage opportunities for Black, Indigenous, Queer, and Trans, Women of Color (QTBIPOC). Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply through our website at sccorps.org for the LOS VALLES region. For inquiries, contact Thérèse d’Auria Ryley, SCC Los Valles Program Director, and [email protected].