What is The Corps Network?download
Sierra Institute for Community and Environment
Position title : Plumas Conservation, Restoration, and Education in Watersheds (P-CREW) Summer Youth Corps Crew Leader
Start Date : 06/03/2019
End Date : 08/30/2019
Type of Position : Crew Leader
Town, City, Park, etc : Taylorsville
State / Territory : California
Attachments/Supplemental Materials : P-CREW-Crew-Leader-Description-2019.pdf
The Sierra Institute for Community and Environment is seeking four dynamic individuals with excellent leadership skills to lead diverse groups of high school-aged students in a variety of restoration and resource management projects as part of its youth corps program: Plumas Conservation Restoration & Education in Watersheds (P-CREW). Group Leaders are responsible for managing twelve, 10th-12th grade teens for two five-week sessions while supporting restoration efforts on the Plumas and Lassen National Forests and adjacent lands in the Northern Sierra. Participants do not go home during the five weeks, so crew leaders are on full time. Under the guidance of Sierra Institute’s P-CREW Program Manager, Program Assistant, and Assistant Coordinator, the Group Leaders will work with professional resource project partners to complete projects with students, such as fuel reduction, trail maintenance, fencing and invasive species removal. The Group Leaders will be experienced outdoor professionals with the skills and interests to serve as excellent role models with an exemplary work ethic and the desire to devote themselves to a crew experience where the needs of others are placed above oneself. This is a unique opportunity to make a difference and be part of a growing, innovative program.
One of the twelve crew members will be an Alumni “All-Star” Assistant, a youth who has successfully completed a P-CREW session and is returning to gain more leadership experience. Group Leaders will manage the Alumni All-Star Assistant and help them advance in a leadership role. This is a leader in training position.
The Sierra Institute is located in rural Taylorsville, CA surrounded by millions of acres of national forest. Group Leaders will be camping in the field with program participants; tent space will be provided during training and close out. The salary for the Group Leader is $675 per week (with the opportunity to earn more DOE) for the 10-week summer season, and $440 for training and close out weeks. Meals are provided when in the field (approximately 10 of 12 weeks). This position will be part of a team of three field staff, which includes a second team Leader and an Alumni All-Star Assistant. All Crew Leaders have to pass a background check.
- • Wilderness First Aid certification
- • Experience working with high school 10th-12th graders (ages 15-18), including one season of experience with responsibilities similar to this position
- • Clean driving record with the ability to safely drive a SUV with trailer or a 6 passenger pickup truck on windy, dirt roads with participants
- • Undergraduate or advanced degree in Outdoor Recreation Leadership, Natural Resources or similar program with teaching experience, and or experience working
- with groups on conservation and/or natural resource restoration projects or equivalent work experience
- • Experience managing a camp kitchen
- • Excellent leadership skills, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor
- • Teambuilding facilitation experience
- • Backcountry experience
- • Excellent problem-solving ability and confidence adapting “on-the-fly” in field situations
- • Extreme flexibility and adaptability (camp, project, or recreation locations/activities could change the night before) and time management skills
- • Comfortable working with a diverse group of high school age participants in unpredictable back and front country settings
- • Willing to work long hours, and be responsible for crew 24 hours a day/7 days per week in the field and at camp.
To Apply : https://pcrew.sierrainstitute.us/
For questions and inquiries, call Ashley Bomar, P-CREW Program Manager, at 530-284- 1022.