What is The Corps Network?download
Rocky Mountain Youth Corps
Position title :Spike Crew, Crewmember, Spring 2020 (Taos)
Deadline to apply :03/23/2020
Start Date :04/06/2020
End Date :08/07/2020
Town, City, Park, etc :Taos
State / Territory :New Mexico
Organization/Program Description :
Rocky Mountain Youth Corps is a non-profit, youth based organization, that offers AmeriCorps terms of service in our Conservation Program to young adults between the ages of 18-25 years old in the state of New Mexico. We strive to empower dedicated young adults to be stewards of our lands by working on a variety of conservation projects in the Majestic southwest mountains of New Mexico.
Rocky Mountain Youth Corps is a stepping stone to new opportunities. We inspire young adults to make a positive difference in themselves and their communities. Through training and service, Corpsmembers discover their potential for healthy, productive lives.
Position Description :
This is an AmeriCorps term, working within a crew of 7. Conservation Crews will work on a variety of projects throughout the Upper Rio Grande region of New Mexico. We will have Hazardous Fuel Reduction (Chainsaw) Crews, as well as a Conservation Crew (Trail work, invasive species removal, etc.) These crews will be Camping (Spike) crews, and will camp for 8 days, followed by 6 days off. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work hard on all projects as part of a team.
- Actively participate in daily check-ins and educational training sessions.
- Maintain safe work environment to ensure both physical and mental well-being.
- Comply with work standards set forth by project partners and Crew Supervisor.
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude.
- Be willing to reflect on your experience and share feedback in a group setting.
- Respect the natural environment and community resources.
- Develop obtainable goals for your transition into further education or employment.
- Comply with all RMYC and AmeriCorps rules and policies and avoid any prohibited activities as described in the member contract.
Job Duties :
Crews will work to safely complete trail maintenance and/or forestry/fuels reduction (chainsaw thinning) projects. Additional projects may include historic preservation, disaster relief, watershed restoration or other community improvement work. All Corpsmembers will receive both personal and professional development training such as S-2-12 Chainsaw Training, First Aid/CPR, Adult-Mental Health First Aid, financial management, and much more.
- 18 – 25 years old
- Strong work ethic
- Able to commit to the entire term of service: April 6th-August 7th, 2020
- Able to work in supervised environment
- Camping crew: available for overnight projects
- U.S. Citizen
- Eligible to serve an AmeriCorps term of service
Additional Benefits :This is an AmeriCorps position and crewsmembers will receive a $760 living allowance throughout the season, as well as an $2,321.00 education award upon successful completion of the term of service. This award can be used to pay tuition at most colleges, universities, or trade schools, or to pay off student loans already acquired.
|Stipend||AmeriCorps Term||Education Award|
|$760 every two weeks||675 hours||$2,321.00|