What is The Corps Network?download
Philmont Scout Ranch
Position title : Forestry Crew Staff
Deadline to apply : 11/15/2020
Start Date : 1/13/2020
End Date : 4/18/2020
Type of Position : Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc : Cimarron
We are looking for staff who are excited and passionate about helping to protect Philmont from future wildfires. In addition to typical forestry projects, staff will also assist in facilitating Philbreak, Philmont’s alternative spring break program! Staff will be provided with roofed housing and all meals in basecamp. Applicants must meet Philmont’s backcountry fitness requirements and be prepared for strenuous work in all types of weather during a winter in the Rocky Mountains. Preferred availability is January 13, 2020, through April 10, 2020. If interested, please complete a seasonal staff application, link below. If you know anyone who may be interested in a forestry crew position feel free to share this opportunity.
Forestry are members of the Forestry Work Crew. The crew implements forest thinning and fuel reduction projects in pursuit of Philmont’s forestry program objectives. Their operations are intended to restore the structure and species composition of Philmont’s forests and create defensible space around the ranch’s infrastructure investments. The crew is generally deployed to the same location for several work runs in a row. They operate chainsaws, brush cutters, tractors, and wood chippers. They prepare brush piles for off-season burning and harvest logs for internal use as lumber and firewood.
- Be an active participant during Conservation Training. Remain engaged, ask questions, and volunteer to help as needed.
- Be constantly alert to the welfare and safety of scouts, advisors, coworkers, and anyone else in the vicinity of your work site. Demonstrate good situational awareness.
- Be a good team member, sharing the responsibilities of daily crew operations with your coworkers.
- Be a resource for other staff and campers, helping them to understand the threat of wildfire and the importance of proactive forest management.
- Become an expert in safe and proper use of provided hand and power tools.
- Become proficient in the use of forestry measurement tools.
- Properly maintain your crew’s tools and equipment to the standards of the Philmont Conservation Department.
- Maintain clean and organized campsites while deployed in the backcountry, following the procedures in the Philmont Ranger Field Book.
- Know and use the appropriate safety measures to your crew, including the use of personal protective equipment and safe working practices.
- Enthusiastically carry out the mission of Philmont Scout Ranch by completing other duties as assigned by any member of the Conservation Leadership Team or other Philmont Managers.
- Be over 18 years of age.
- Be prepared for strenuous workdays that include hiking and working on rough terrain, in all weather conditions, for 9-12 hours.
- Be prepared to spend up to 9 consecutive nights per work hitch in undeveloped backcountry campsites.
- Meet the BSA height/weight requirements for high-adventure activities.
- Provide a completed Annual Health and Medical Record upon arrival at Philmont.
- Exemplify the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures described in the Philmont Staff Guidebook and presented during staff training.
- Maintain a clean and approachable look, adhering to the standards for personal appearance described in the Philmont Staff Guidebook.
- Maintain a friendly, helpful, and respectful attitude while providing extraordinary customer service to Philmont’s participants, visitors, and employees.
- Become familiar with all materials supplied prior to the camping season.
- Become familiar with all pertinent Philmont policies and procedures.
Work Crew Staff – Forestry complete eight days of Conservation Department Training, followed by four days of chainsaw training. Opportunities may arise throughout the summer for on-the- job training in chainsaw operation, rigging, equipment operation, or other advanced skills.
For questions about this position and other conservation job opportunities, contact:
Recreation Resource Manager
Philmont Scout Ranch
Philmont Scout Ranch: http://philmontscoutranch.org/philmont.aspx
Seasonal Employment Opportunities: http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Jobs.aspx Individual Treks: http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Camping/IndividualPrograms.aspx