What is The Corps Network?download
Outdoor Recreation Roundtable
Position title :Coalition Lead
Deadline to apply :April 2, 2021
Type of Position :Staff (Full-Time)
Town, City, Park, etc :Washington
Organization/Program Description :
For the outdoor industry to thrive and remain relevant while also contributing to access and equity for a better outdoor industry, it must become more inclusive for groups who have historically been excluded from and/or underrepresented in outdoor recreation (e.g. Black, Indigenous and other Persons of Color, Disabled, LGBTQ+, different socioeconomic status, immigrants, etc.).
For this to happen, all sectors of the industry, including human powered (hiking, climbing, biking, equestrian, diving etc.), hunting and angling, motorized, hospitality brands, retailers and manufacturers must unite around shared goals for Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI).
Outdoor Recreation Roundtable (ORR) seeks an experienced professional with a passion for uniting businesses in the outdoor industry around JEDI opportunities. This position (“Coalition Lead”) will manage the design and implementation of a campaign which aims to develop the voices and capacities of leading companies in the outdoor industry for JEDI work. Specifically, the program will equip business owners and service providers with internal-facing educational materials and training, and external-facing point of sale tools and marketing materials that help train workers and companies on important JEDI measures and make the outdoors more inviting to new and diverse user groups and existing outdoor enthusiasts.
While the components of the campaign are subject to change, they may include:
- Convening of cross-sector business leaders and stakeholders from across the recreation spectrum
- Convening of diversity advocacy groups and consultants from across the recreation spectrum
- Creation of educational tools to highlight JEDI issues relevant to outdoor brands, manufacturers, retailers, and user groups and their employees
- Development of public-facing marketing materials to be displayed at outdoor recreation sites (e.g campground, marinas, trailheads, ski resorts, parks, and national forests), “How-to” guides to welcome new users to outdoor recreation with best practices and advice to make the most out of outdoor experiences
The Coalition Lead will manage a variety of stakeholders to create and deliver a business focused, point-of-sale campaign to promote inclusivity and education for new users. They will have the support of the ORR staff and public relations team, as well as contract graphic and web designers to support the full implementation of this work.
Job Duties :
Program Design/Development/Implementation – 80%
- Research existing efforts, strengths, weaknesses, and specific needs of coalition members to understand opportunities for progress
- Convene stakeholders in key sectors to define shared objectives, learning goals for the new coalition, strategic plan, and metrics for success
- Work with existing diversity education groups and individuals to create an advisory council to the campaign
- Design and propose a community feedback process
- Support drafting and implementation of marketing and outreach strategies for coalition members
- Facilitate monthly meetings and support coalition with JEDI education, creation of strategies and materials, and roll-out and implementation of deliverables
- Support administration of grants to participating businesses for the delivery of campaign materials
- Re-convene stakeholders for feedback, next steps (expanding to boating, fly fishing, etc. / creating a new entity)
Marketing/PR – 20%
- Manage design contractors for graphic/website
- Manage fulfillment of campaign materials to partners
- Support PR rollout (e.g. press releases, webinars, op-eds)
Required Experience and Personal Qualifications:
- Passion for JEDI efforts in the outdoor industry and life experience that informs this passion
- Understanding of key JEDI initiatives and leaders in the outdoor industry
- 4+ years work experience in JEDI work with business leaders, particularly organizational change and implementation related to JEDI
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience managing program budgets
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines effectively working individually and with different groups and stakeholder teams
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop one-on-one relationships with key partners and business/ association executives
- Tolerance for adversity and uncertainty in planning and execution
- Personal alignment with and passion for Outdoor Recreation Roundtable’s mission and values
Contact Information :
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Coalition Lead” in the subject line by Friday April 2, 2021. You will receive confirmation of your application within three business days. No phone calls, please.
ORR is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the employment application and interview process. If accommodations are needed for an interview, please submit that request along with your application or in advance of your interview by at least one week.
Additional Information :
The Campaign Lead will be compensated with a competitive annual contract rate commensurate with experience, starting at $75,000. As a contract position, benefits are not included. However, the position will be considered for development into a full-time salaried job with benefits after one year.