Onondaga Earth Corps, Inc.
Position title :Program Coordinator
Deadline to apply :Applications accepted on rolling basis
Start Date :01/01/2022
End Date :01/01/2023
Type of Position :Staff (Full-Time)
Town, City, Park, etc :Syracuse
State / Territory :New York
Benefits :Dental Insurance, Health Insurance
Project/Program Focus :Community Education, Forestry, Landscaping, Volunteer Engagement, Young Adult Programs (18+), Youth Programs (<18)
Attachments/Supplemental Materials :ProgramCoordinator_general_PositionDesc-2.pdf
Organization/Program Description :
The Onondaga Earth Corps (OEC) is a youth development and conservation corps program focusing on community and environmental stewardship in the Greater
Syracuse Metropolitan Area. OEC enrolls youth and young adults, ages 15 to 25, in “learn to earn” positions to educate the community about the benefits of environmental stewardship through completing environmental and neighborhood improvement projects. OEC has a strong experiential learning and service component, and often completes projects or arranges volunteer service within the community.
Position Description :
The Program Coordinator performs many roles and is key to smooth planning and implementation of OEC’s Young Adult programs, which include youth development, AmeriCorps, community based tree planting, green infrastructure and other special programs. The Program Coordinator works with a team of staff (program specialists, executive director, office manager, personal development team leader & crew leaders) and crew members (ages 15-25) responsible for various community outreach projects, community tree planting, watering and caring for trees, and maintenance of natural areas and green infrastructure installations. Crewmembers are recruited as part of a larger team that works on multiple OEC projects (see Conservation Crew Member position for details). The position is multi‐faceted and demanding, but with opportunities for rewarding achievements, and valuable professional and career growth.
Successful candidates will demonstrate high standards, attention to detail, compassion, excellent judgment, and the desire to devote themselves to youth development/mentorship and environmental conservation. The Program Coordinator position requires both supervisory and a basic understanding of urban forestry, natural areas management, landscaping, green infrastructure maintenance, riparian forest buffer restoration or similar fields. Candidates must also demonstrate a high level of comfort with diverse collaborators and youth, and the ability to work outdoors comfortably. This is a staff position therefore the candidate must demonstrate high level leadership skills and ability to resolve problems in an efficient but respectful manner.
Job Duties :
- Work with OEC staff, project partners, community partners, and project hosts to plan and implement programs that train corpsmembers in conservation, job readiness, leadership and civic engagement skills.
- Work with OEC Executive Director and Board of Directors to inform the development of programs, create strategic goals, and help grow the organization.
- Assist with clerical work to help create programming in alignment with OEC funding, work contracts from constituents, community members and city departments.
- Approximate 70/30 Office to Field work ratio dependant on time of year and project needs
- Prepare curriculum, activities and workflows for program staff and crewmembers.
- Work with OEC team to recruit youth and young adults eligible for OEC programs
- Plan pre-program and program training suitable to completing OEC contracts, grants and other obligations.
- Track measurable educational outcomes and work outputs.
- Manage and supervise program staff.
- Participate in day-to-day details of conservation crew work in collaboration with other team staff.
- Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time and under adverse weather conditions alongside crew.
- Teach and/or present project information to elementary through college students as well as community organizations and the general public.
- Monitor, manage, and promote the crew’s and one’s own physical and emotional safety on and off the work site.
- Compile summaries and reports from work logs and training logs that demonstrate programmatic successes and areas for improvement.
- Gather and manage data relevant to the program (such as youth life needs assessments, crewmember evaluations, etc.)
- Transport crew and tools safely in OEC’s passenger van and trucks as needed.
- Provide mentorship to staff and program participants.
- Promote individual corps member development and leadership skills
- Represent OEC in meetings, conferences and community events.
- Position requires evening and weekend work due to community events and programmatic considerations.
- 3-5 years of program coordinating experience preferably in a youth or conservation related organization.
- Leadership experience, preferably with diverse young adults.
- Previous Conservation or Youth Corps experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in program development and implementation.
- 3-5 years of urban forestry, green infrastructure, conservation, construction or landscaping experience preferred. NYS CNLP, ISA Arborist Certifications, or similar favorable.
- Physically fit and able to work long days in adverse conditions.
- Good driving record (insurable) and current driver’s license.
- Ability to safely drive a pickup truck with a 12-16’ trailer and 12 passenger van.
- Relevant college coursework or degree preferred.
- Current First Aid or higher and CPR certification preferred.
- OSHA Certification (OSHA 10 required, OSHA 30 preferred) [training may be available post hire]
- Sense of humor, spirit of adventure, and desire to make a positive difference.
- Background check required as the position involves working with youth.
- Computer literacy is a must. Typing, email literate. Microsoft Office Suite. Google Suite. GIS, Adobe Suite experience preferable but not required.
Contact Information :
Email: [email protected]
Or USPS mail, or drop off in person in submission box located at:
Onondaga Earth Corps
100 New St, Rm 239
Syracuse, NY 13202
Additional Information :
Please submit (1) a resume,(2) a cover letter, and (3) a completed Program/Employment Application (found online at www.onondagaearthcorps.org or in our offices at SUNY EOC center, 100 New St, Syracuse)