What is The Corps Network?download
Onondaga Earth Corps
Position title : Personal Development Team Leader & Crew Leader
Deadline to apply : 02/28/2020
Start Date : 03/09/2020
Type of Position : Staff (Full-Time)
Town, City, Park, etc : Syracuse
State / Territory : New York
The Onondaga Earth Corps (OEC) is a youth development and conservation corps program focusing on community and environmental stewardship in the Greater Syracuse Metropolitan Area. OEC enrolls youth and young adults, ages 15 to 25, in “learn to earn” positions to educate the community about the benefits of environmental stewardship through completing environmental and neighborhood improvement projects. OEC has a strong experiential learning and service component, and often completes projects or arranges volunteer service within the community.
The Personal Development Team Leader & Crew Leader (hereafter “Team Leader”) performs many roles and is integral to OEC’s community‐based youth program’s success. The Team Leader will lead and work with a team of staff that will directly oversee the Young Adult Program for participants ages 19‐25. The Team Leader will be responsible for planning the overarching schedule and architecture of the personal development elements of the Young Adult Program and working with content area experts and other staff to plan conservation project work such as tree planting and green infrastructure maintenance that supports the OEC mission of empowering youth and young adults.
The Team Leader will be the primary planner and direct supervisor for the Young Adult Program Personal Development Program on Fridays. The Team Leader will coordinate with other OEC Staff, partner organizations, community leaders and other guest speakers to plan the Personal Development programming. The Team Leader will also organize and train mentors to be paired with individual young adult participants and convene mentors and staff periodically to ensure that participants are successful during and after graduating the OEC program.
This position involves leading field staff in the design of meaningful field work that supports the organization’s mission of empowering youth and young adults. The young adults are recruited as part of a larger team that works on multiple OEC field projects, some of which the Team Leader will participate in directly in the field (see Young Adult Conservation Crew Member position for details). This supervisory position is multi‐faceted and demanding, but with opportunities for rewarding achievements, and valuable professional and career growth.
Successful candidates will demonstrate high standards, attention to detail, compassion, excellent judgment, and the desire to devote themselves to youth development/mentorship and environmental conservation. The Team Leader position requires both supervisory and technical aptitude in project management and planning, youth development and an awareness regarding conservation field work. This is a staff position therefore the candidate must demonstrate strong leadership skills, flexibility, a high level of professionalism, and the ability to resolve problems in an efficient and respectful manner.
- Work with OEC staff, project partners, community partners, and project hosts to plan and implement a dynamic youth empowerment program.
- Work with OEC staff to integrate environmental conservation work in to a broader program design of youth empowerment that incorporates OEC’s Individual Development Plans (IDPs).
- Meet weekly with Young Adult Program Staff to keep open communications between field and personal development program progress.
- Prepare curriculum, activities, evaluation metrics and workflows for program staff, mentors and crewmembers.
- Work with OEC team to recruit youth and young adults eligible for OEC programs
- Plan pre-program and program training suitable to OEC’s mission.
- Track measurable educational and youth development outcomes.
- Plan and implement Young Adult Personal Development programming on Fridays and during youth summer program.
- Lead Crew field work along with other crew leaders approximately 60% of the time.
- Monitor, manage, and promote the crew’s and one’s own physical and emotional safety on and off the work site.
- Compile summaries and reports from training and activity logs and Individual Development Plans that demonstrate programmatic successes and areas for improvement.
- Provide mentorship to staff and program participants.
- Promote individual corps member development and leadership skills
- Represent Onondaga Earth Corps in meetings, conferences and community events.
- Work with OEC team to support a growing OEC alumni network
- Position requires evening and weekend work due to community events and programmatic considerations.
- Previous Conservation or Youth Corps experience preferred.
- 3-5 years of youth development and leadership experience.
- Relevant college coursework or degree preferred.
- Experience managing and tracking success for youth utilizing individual development plans (or comparable)
- Experience with mentor programs.
- Knowledge of wrap-around service providers in Syracuse and Central New York including: mental health, housing, criminal justice, child care, trauma informed response, substance abuse, etc.
- Current First Aid or higher and CPR certification preferred.
- Physically fit and able to work long days in adverse conditions.
- Good driving record (insurable) and a current driver’s license.
- Ability to safely drive pickup truck with 12-16’ trailer and a 15 passenger van.
- OSHA Certification (OSHA 10 required, OSHA 30 preferred) [training may be available post hire]
- Sense of humor, spirit of adventure, and desire to make a positive difference.
- Background check must be completed as position requires working with youth.
- Computer literacy a must. Typing, email literate, Microsoft Office Suite, +Google Suite required.
To Apply : http://www.onondagaearthcorps.org/staff/
Onondaga Earth Corps
100 New St, Rm 239
Syracuse, NY 13202