Montana Conservation Corps
Position title :Wildland Restoration Team Member
Deadline to apply :05/16/2022
Start Date :05/16/2022
End Date :08/12/2022
Type of Position :Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc :Missoula, Helena, Bozeman
State / Territory :Montana
Benefits :AmeriCorps, Education Award
Project/Program Focus :Aquatic Restoration, Forestry, Habitat Restoration, Invasive Species Mngmt, Young Adult Programs (18+)
Organization/Program Description :
Montana Conservation Corps is a nonprofit organization that engages youth and young adults through hands-on conservation service and education. Our participants work on physically demanding and essential natural resource and conservation projects on some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the Northern Rockies and Plains. Here at MCC, we focus on the growth of our participants, positively impacting our climate and environment, and transferable job skills. Founded in 1991, MCC is a private, nonprofit organization. There are 4 regions, with approximately 40 staff and 300 members who serve each year in leader, member or intern positions. MCC receives Federal grant money through the Corporation for National & Community Service. This grant is used to provide participant stipends and education awards, as well as to support our programming: offering leadership development to Leaders and Members. MCC offers crew-based programming that uses natural resource and community service projects to foster personal and crew development. While most of the work we accomplish is in the field, our main goal is not to build trails but to help members develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to be active citizens in their community. Through a term of service with MCC, participants will learn practical job skills, build confidence, strengthen communication and leadership competencies, and develop the ability to work well with people from all walks of life.
Position Description :
GAIN PROFESSIONAL JOB SKILLS, CONTRIBUTE TO CLIMATE RESILIENCE, AND LAUNCH YOUR NATURAL RESOURCE CAREER!
At MCC, we focus on the growth of our participants, positively impacting our climate and environment, and transferable job skills. Wildland Restoration Teams participate in habitat restoration projects. These could include managing invasive plants through herbicide application, seed collection, and watershed restoration including beaver-dam analog construction. Projects are rigorous. Participants carry a heavy backpack sprayer and work in hot weather across rugged terrain while wearing protective gear. These crews work with a diverse range of stakeholders (private, government, and non-profit). Their efforts help to achieve large scale land conservation efforts with rural communities throughout the state of Montana. This is a great opportunity for anyone who has an interest in restoration to gain field experience in a rapidly growing area of conservation.
Wildland Restoration Team Member (Summer Only)
Location: Bozeman, Kalispell, Missoula MT
Dates: 5/16/2022 – 8/12/2022
Living Allowance: $737 biweekly before taxes
AmeriCorps Education Award: $1,718.25
Member Assistance Program: Free 24/7 access to confidential behavioral health counseling, financial assistance, medical/legal advocacy, and more!
Food Per Diem while on Projects
Access to Pro Deals
Housing Opportunities Available!!
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more!
There are multiple benefits with an AmeriCorps Term of Service!
MCC is committed to being diverse, welcoming, and inclusive. We are working to reduce barriers to participating in our programs. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
- High school degree, GED, or willingness to work towards obtaining a GED
- Ages 17-30, up to 35 for military veterans
- US Citizen, National, or Legal Permanent Resident
- Ability to hike 3-12 miles per day in terrain that can be steep, rocky or uneven, often wearing a 45lb backpack while carrying tools and sometimes backpacking with full packs of 60-70lbs
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds repeatedly and use hand and power tools
- Ability to pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Available for duration of entire term of service; commitment to completing term
- Strong service ethic and desire to serve the community and the environment
- Willing to work long, hard hours in all weather conditions
- Ability to be away on overnight trips for up to 10 days at a time
Additional Benefits :
- Education Award Use for student loans, certifications, work trade programs, education expenses, and more
- Forbearance for certain student loans while serving with AmeriCorps.
- Member Assistance Program (MAP) FREE access to 24/7 behavioral health resources. Also includes financial planning, legal assistance, life coaching, and more!
- Living Allowance
- AmeriCorps Child Care Benefits
- Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Meals provided while on projects
- Access to Pro Deals
- We provide uniform work shirts and transportation to work sites.
- Tools and safety gear are covered. Things like hard hat, work gloves, ear protection, safety glasses and group camping gear. We have some items to loan if needed
- DEI funds to help purchase gear or travel to Montana.
- Housing Opportunities Available!!
Certifications (Depending on Position and Crew Type):
- Basic First Aid & CPR
Training and Opportunities (Depending on Position and Crew Type):
- Training on Resume Building, Interviewing, and Federal Hiring
- Hand & Power Tool Use (including chainsaw and crosscut saw)
- Backcountry Travel & Navigation
- Leave No Trace
- Habitat Management & Improvement
- Learn about natural resource management
- Develop life skills, work skills, and a strong service ethic
- Connect with project partners: federal, state, and non-profits for career opportunities
- Join our network of alumni in natural resource careers all over the country
- Work in beautiful, wild, and protected places.
- Work in National Forests, wilderness areas, and National Parks.
- Make lasting changes to the environment, climate, and our communities.
Contact Information :
Recruitment & Admissions Manager
406-587-4475 ext. 106