What is The Corps Network?download
Position title :Program Manager-Youth Conservation Corps
Deadline to apply :02/20/2020
Start Date :02/10/2020
End Date :08/07/2020
Town, City, Park, etc :Washington DC (remote possible) and Superior National Forest, MN
State / Territory :District of Columbia,Minnesota
Organization/Program Description :
Join us. Do work that matters!
In partnership with the US Forest Service, MobilizeGreen is seeking a Seasonal Program Manager for its residential Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) program during the summer of 2020. The MobilizeGreen-Forest Service YCC program includes two three-week residential programs for diverse young people between the ages of 15 and 18 years of age who are recruited nationally. Housed in dorms at an Environmental Education Center in Minnesota, nestled in the woods off of the shores of Lake Superior, crew members and leaders will build a community while living and working together as a team.
Position Description :
The YCC Project Leader is responsible for daily management of the Youth Conservation Corps program leading a team of crew leaders and high school students working on conservation-related projects together during the day and participating in environmental education, professional development opportunities, and outdoor recreation activities during the evenings and weekends. The Project Leader will represent MobilizeGreen on site and will coordinate with Forest Service Partners on work projects, environmental education and recreation activities. The project leader must attend the YCC Orientation and Conservation Skills training sessions.
This position is split between Washington DC and The Superior National Forest, MN. While in DC you will work out of the MobilizeGreen office planning and coordinating pre-program logistics. While working in DC schedule and hours are flexible and there is an option to work part-time. You must have your own housing while based in DC.
Starting Mid-May for approximately 10 weeks (with a 1-week break mid program) this position will be based near Finland, Minnesota at the Wolf Ridge Environmental Center living on site during staff training and the program. Travel, food, and accommodations will be provided in MN but you must have your own housing while based in DC.
Job Duties :
- With USFS and YCC staff lead planning, coordination and scheduling of work projects, Environmental Education lessons, leadership activities and recreational programming
- Facilitate program operations in conjunction with MobilizeGreen and US Forest Service (USFS) staff
- Lead and mentor up to 6 crew leaders and 50 students during 8 week summer YCC program providing support as needed
- Provide an emotionally and physically safe environment in accordance with MobilizeGreen’s Field Operations Standards
- Serve as an alternate crew leader as needed
- Lead regular on site crew leader check-ins and member check-ins as needed
- Project and Partnership Representative
- Serve as site liaison with USFS and other agency partners to coordinate all logistical and operational work and how it relates to the project and the crew.
- Provide technical assistance to crew when appropriate
- Ensure all project related reporting is completed in a timely manner
- Program Administrator
- Assist with recruiting, screening and onboarding of Crew Members
- Work with crew leaders to ensure all program paperwork and reporting is completed in a timely manner.
- Communicate with MobilizeGreen and USFS field staff as required and as needed to report incidents & near misses and provide program updates.
- Assist with logistical support and planning for Crew Leader training
- Assist with curriculum development
- Manage administrative aspects of member travel, equipment management, program logistics, and budget management
- Manage Crew Member travel and communications prior to program
- Assist with managing social media and telling the YCC story
- Other duties as assigned
- Uphold and act in accordance with MobilizeGreen’s Field Operations Standards
- Communicate effectively with MobilizeGreen staff, agency partners, and crew leaders during pre-program responsibilities.
- Participate fully in Crew Leader Orientation and any additional trainings.
- Maintain positive relationships with agency partners.
- Provide emotionally and physically safe environment for members.
- Complete weekly check-ins with MobilizeGreen staff.
- Complete all necessary post-program paperwork, including a phone evaluation with MobilizeGreen Staff.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience supervising staff/volunteers
- Positive attitude, sense of humor and ability to adapt to new situations
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and experience working with diverse populations
- Youth/Young Adult Programming- Documented experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18) as a teacher, mentor, leader, counselor or coach.
- Teaching / Leadership- Experience working in an informal or formal educational environment. Demonstrated ability to organize and effectively teach lessons, motivate teenage and/or young adult students, provide and accept constructive feedback and communicate effectively.
- Outdoor Education / Skills- Experience / familiarity with outdoor living skills, including: hiking, safety awareness, LNT, camping, cooking, basic map/compass skills, etc.
- Conservation Project Skills- Experience in service project management, service learning, conservation, or trail/conservation projects and hand tool use. May also include experience with carpentry, landscaping, gardening, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years related experience in program administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Collaboration and teamwork skills a must
- Experience with process oversight; keeping momentum moving and following through on multiple points for multiple people.
- Must be legally able to work in the US
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, have a clean driving record and be comfortable driving a van on rural roads for long distances.
- Must be able to perform manual and physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and lift and/or move 40 pounds or more when required.
- Must pass a criminal background check and motor vehicle report.
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification. Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness Advanced First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, and/or Wilderness EMT certification preferred.
Additional Benefits :
- 800/week stipend
- Housing and food provided during summer
- Hands-on training and learning experience
- Paid training and certifications
- Travel expenses for travel to and from site
- Health Insurance available
Contact Information :
Additional Information :
Position will be filled when the right candidate applies. Please do not wait until the deadline to apply.
Exact start and end dates are flexible and we are open to remote work in the spring for the right person.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This is physically demanding work. The work conditions are challenging and require the ability to handle strenuous work conditions, such as steep terrain, as well as environmental conditions, including rain and extreme heat. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While on site you will be living in a dorm with participants and will share 24 on call responsibilities.