What is The Corps Network?download
Mile High Youth Corps
Position title : Summer 2019 GoWild Outreach Team
Deadline to apply : 05/31/2019
Start Date : 06/03/2019
End Date : 08/17/2019
Type of Position : Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc : Denver
State / Territory : Colorado
Join a crew of eight Corpsmembers ages 18-25 working on conservation and environmental stewardship projects throughout the Denver Metro Area while engaging youth in meaningful education activities. Collaborate with organizations in NE Denver to inspire the next generation of environmentalists and outdoor enthusiasts! Join Mile High Youth Corps as a Summer 2019 GoWild Team Corpsmember. The GoWild Coalition encompasses the Northeast Metro communities of Commerce City, Northwest Aurora, Northeast Park Hill, and Montbello. The Outreach Team will provide focused outreach, community engagement, direct service and support for GoWild projects to cultivate environmental stewardship.
- June 3, 2019 – August 17, 2019
- The typical 40-hour week will be Tuesday through Saturday
- In the Community: Plan, conduct outreach, and support activities to engage the community in outdoor activities.
- On Land Conservation: Complete conservation projects on public lands through the Denver metro area. Projects may include public land improvements and trail construction and maintenance.
- Mile High Youth Corps: Participate in AmeriCorps National Days of Service and All Corps Service Projects.
- Must be between the ages of 18-24 and eligible for employment in the United States.
- Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Resident. Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first day. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver’s license and birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
- Residents of Commerce City, Northwest Aurora, Northeast Park Hill, or Montbello are strongly encouraged to apply.
- High school or GED graduate or actively pursuing.
- Must be able to spend 8-10 hours a day outdoors in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.).
- Able to be on time and maintain attendance throughout term of service, available for a minimum of 300 hours of service.
- Diligently follow Leave No Trace
- Must commit to complete the program and participate fully in service projects and educational activities.
- Experience or strong desire to learn the skills needed for effective community outreach and engagement.
- Must be willing to show a strong effort, actively participate as part of a team and be dedicated to the Youth Corps philosophy.
- This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service National Criminal History Check, which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-service drug screen required.
- Member must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement and appropriately represent Mile High Youth Corps both in behavior and dress code.
- Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality service, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
- Biweekly Stipend: Earn a living stipend of $800.00 per bi-weekly pay period.
- AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,252.91 upon successful completion of the term (300 hours of service). This award can be used to pay tuition or pay back qualifying student loans. Individuals have 7 years to use the award.
- Education: Lessons focused on environmental stewardship, leadership, civic engagement, college and career prep and other trainings that will prepare for life after MHYC.
- Student Loan Forbearance: Possible through the National Service Trust on qualifying federal government student loans.
- Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving with MHYC for sixty days. Members share a portion of the cost.