What is The Corps Network?download
King County Parks
Position title :Park Specialist II
Deadline to apply :February 15, 2021
Type of Position :Staff (Full-Time)
Town, City, Park, etc :Multiple locations in King County
State / Territory :Washington
Benefits :Dental Insurance, Health Insurance, Vision Insurance
Project/Program Focus :Trails
Organization/Program Description :
This recruitment will be used to create an eligibility list to fill current and future career service and term-limited temporary positions in the Park Specialist II classification through October 2021.
King County Parks has evolved from 150 acres in 1938 to more than 28,000 acres. Today, our system consists of more than 200 parks, 175 miles of regional trails, and 215 miles of backcountry trails. Our mission is to steward, enhance and acquire parks to inspire healthy communities. We seek to cultivate strong relationships with community partners to enhance park amenities for all King County residents to enjoy today and for generations to come. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/parks.
And check us out on the socials at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Flickr.
Position Description :
The King County Parks and Recreation Division is accepting applications for our Park Specialist IIs to join our growing team that provides excellent service to all King County residents and park users. Park Specialist IIs perform a variety of maintenance duties involving grounds, facilities, athletic fields, natural resource areas, and trails in assigned County park areas, and provide a clean and safe park environment for visitors. Work is performed outdoors, in all types of weather conditions. Individuals interested in joining our team must be committed to racial, social and economic equity for ALL people in King County. We welcome applications from people who will help us consistently demonstrate the values of equity, respect and partnership.
Job Duties :
- Maintain parks, trails, and natural open space areas by pruning, trimming, landscaping, and mowing.
- Maintain and prepare athletic fields, play areas, picnic shelters, restrooms and other park furnishings.
- Steward natural areas by removing invasive and noxious weeds, restore properties by planting native species and plants and maintaining backcountry trails.
- Plan and direct work projects for seasonal workers and volunteer/community groups.
- Perform minor repairs of walkways, fences, gates, and other parks fixtures. Perform minor plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and painting.
- Construct, renovate and repair hiking trails, trail structures, bridges, and other structures; install signage and fencing.
- Operate and maintain park maintenance vehicles and equipment such as riding mowers, tractors, weed-eaters, edgers and chain saws.
- Provide for the welfare and safety of park visitors by giving assistance and information, including park rules and regulations.
- Provide exceptional customer service and promote good relationships with public and user groups.
- At least 24 months of full-time park maintenance work experience or similar maintenance construction/technical/landscaping experience.
- The ability to perform heavy physical labor with weights up to 75 pounds.
- The ability to work on uneven slopes, surfaces, grades and terrain in inclement weather and other adverse conditions.
- The ability to safely use power tools and operate equipment on a continuous basis.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have the Following Competencies:
- Action oriented and takes on new opportunities and challenges with a sense of energy and enthusiasm.
- Values differences by recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to a project.
- Optimizes work processes by knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
The Most Competitive Candidates will have demonstrated skill in the following areas:
- Knowledge of park maintenance operations and procedures including trail maintenance and construction, landscaping and grounds-keeping and facilities.
- Knowledge of building, craft and mechanical trades; skill in performing minor repairs as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment by building rapport and promoting cooperation among team members.
- Skill in communicating clearly and respectfully, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers and to handle difficult situations daily.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and to prioritize work tasks.
- Skill in leading, directing and training others is highly desirable.
- Some positions may require obtaining a Class A CDL and/or a spray license within 90 days of hire (some on-site training may be available).
- Basic computer skills in Outlook, Excel, Word desired.
Necessary Special Requirement:
- Possession of a valid Washington State Driver’s license at the time of appointment required.
- The ability to work at ground level and roof-top heights and all levels in between.
- An offer of employment will be contingent on successfully passing a pre-employment physical and background (criminal and driving history) and references checks.
To Apply :https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/kingcounty/jobs/2973135/park-specialist-ii?sort=PostingDate%7CDescending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Contact Information :
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact: Patty Jurgens at [email protected] or (206) 477-4572.
Additional Information :
Applications will be screened for qualifications and completeness. The most competitive candidates may be invited to the interview process. Please note: we primarily use e-mail to communicate with candidates. Please be sure to check your email for updates in the recruitment process.