What is The Corps Network?download
Great Basin Institute/ Nevada Conservation Corps
Position title : Restoration Crew Member (Spring 2019)
Deadline to apply : 02/11/2019
Start Date : 02/18/2019
End Date : 05/17/2019
Type of Position : Corpsmember / Intern
Town, City, Park, etc : Las Vegas
State / Territory : Nevada
Nevada Conservation Corps harnesses the energy and idealism of youth to meet the needs of Nevada public lands and communities. As a federally-funded AmeriCorps program, the NCC promotes ecological literacy through field research and direct conservation service. Our broad-based national recruitment process transcends racial, ethnic and economic barriers by creating a cadre of corps members comprised of diverse backgrounds. The NCC provides students and young professionals opportunities to make meaningful contributions toward protecting and conserving Nevada’s natural heritage, while also gaining valuable work experience in the natural resource management field.
Spend a season or more working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resources and conservation careers.
Projects during the spring field season will focus on arid land restoration around Southern Nevada and may include invasive plant removal, riparian restoration, and native species planting. Find more information on projects here!
This is a 3 month (450 hour) Americorps term from February 18 2018 – May 17, 2018.
Dates can be flexible so don’t hesitate to contact us!
Las Vegas, NV
You will be based out of our Las Vegas Field Office on 4- or 8-day “tour” schedules. Camping locations are provided during the workweek. We will not provide housing nor sign leases, but we can assist with identifying housing options.
Optional Training & Education we will provide include:
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Off-Road Driving Class
• Resume Building Workshop
• Interview Skills Workshop
• Native Plant Identification
• Invasive Plant Identification
• GPS Unit Training
• Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
• Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
• Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
• Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC
administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
• Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
• Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
• Participating in in-field education sessions;
• Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
• Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
•Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
•Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
•Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
•Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
•Be at least 17 years of age
•Be a US citizen
•Must possess a high school diploma or GED
•Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).*
•All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.
Living Allowance: $4,400
Education Award: $1,566.14
$7.25 per diem received everyday spent in the field
Please contact Sarah Mendoza, Recruitment Coordinator, at email@example.com