What is The Corps Network?download
Great Basin Institute
Position title : AmeriCorps Program Assistant
Deadline to apply : 12/31/2018
Start Date : 01/01/2019
End Date : 12/31/2019
Type of Position : Staff (Full-Time)
Town, City, Park, etc : Reno
State / Territory : Nevada
The Great Basin Institute is an interdisciplinary field studies organization that promotes environmental research, education, and conservation throughout the West. Founded in 1998 at the University of Nevada, the Institute’s mission is to advance applied research and ecological literacy through community engagement and agency partnerships to support national parks, forests, open spaces and public lands. GBI is a member of the Great Basin Landscape Conservation Cooperative (LCC), a multi-agency collective that brings together researchers, tribes, universities, federal, state and local governments, and non-governmental organizations to address and protect the natural and cultural resources essential to sustaining our health and quality of life. Great Basins Institute’s AmeriCorps Program places many of its participants into service opportunities where they learn valuable work skills for current and future positions in addition to earning an education award with a modest living allowance. In turn, the members gain and develop an appreciation for environmental conservation, gain management and data collection skills and are given a chance to work with partner agencies such as the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Forest Service, and the State of Nevada Divisions of Forestry, Wildlife, Parks and Lands.
The Great Basin Institute is recruiting an AmeriCorps Program Assistant to cooperatively support over 80 AmeriCorps members annually. The Institute’s AmeriCorps Program is currently partnering with federal, state, and local agencies and organizations to provide professional development opportunities to individuals seeking to gain experience in the field of natural, cultural, or recreation resource management, while providing service to our nation’s public lands throughout the west. The overall objective of this position is to support program operation, including planning, recruitment, on-boarding and orientation, training, communication, safety, logistics, AmeriCorps grant compliance, and reporting.
The essential functions of the AmeriCorps Program Assistant include:
• Collaborate with Institute staff and host site agencies to plan service opportunities, including identifying training, safety concerns, and project logistical needs;
• Recruit and place applicants into service opportunities;
• Complete on-boarding requirements and conduct new-hire orientations for participants;
• Promote a culture of safety and maintain safety communication and best practices with members during their service contract;
• Maintain communication with members during their term of service to assure satisfaction with their experience and develop creative solutions when issues arise;
• Complete host-site orientations and support host-site staff in overseeing interns;
• Conduct host-site visits to assure compliance with Great Basin Institute program agreements and AmeriCorps policy; and
• Assist with gathering data on service accomplishments to support regularly scheduled reporting requirements.
Preferred qualifications for the AmeriCorps Program Assistant include:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources Management, Conservation Leadership, or two years of related work equivalency;
• Experience in project support;
• Experience in AmeriCorps or volunteer management;
• Familiarity with Nevada environmental community-based agencies, services and resources, desired;
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel;
• Willingness and ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic office environment, and to consistently enact high performance standards and a strong work and team ethic in support of the goals and objectives of the AmeriCorps Program and the mission of GBI;
• Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license; and
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed.
Compensation & Benefits
• Salary: $32,000 annually
• Paid health insurance
• Paid time off (vacation, holidays, and sick time)
• Optional enrollment in vested retirement plan
The AmeriCorps Program Assistant will be based out of the GBI Field Office in Las Vegas, NV. The scenery varies from dramatically colorful geologic landforms and largely unspoiled panoramic vistas of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area to remote and rugged wild landscapes of the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area. Recreation opportunities abound and viewing sites for desert plants and animals are easily accessible. Famous National Parks and other public lands are 1-3-hour drives from Las Vegas. The Las Vegas staff oversee projects in southern Utah, northern Arizona, southern California, and southern Nevada, as well as other neighboring areas, which means opportunities to explore new and amazing public lands is part of the job!