What is The Corps Network?download
Ancestral Lands – Southwest Conservation Corps
Position title :Canyons of the Ancients National Monument Individual Placement
Deadline to apply :08/31/2020
Start Date :09/07/2020
End Date :02/05/2021
Town, City, Park, etc :Dolores
State / Territory :Colorado
Benefits :AmeriCorps,Education Award,Housing – Primarily Non-Camping,Student Loan Forbearance
Organization/Program Description :
It is the mission of the Southwest Conservation Corps to empower individuals to positively impact their lives, their communities and the environment. The Ancestral Lands program is specifically designed to engage Native American youth and young adults with offices in Acoma, Durango, Gallup, Salida, Zuni, and Hopi. *Ancestral Lands serves local tribal communities in the regions we operate. Applicants must be Native American.
Position Description :
Canyons of the Ancients National Monument is seeking an energetic individual to be placed at the Visitor Center and Museum located in Dolores, CO. Canyons of the Ancients National Monument Education Program links the preservation to visitor’s backyards and communities. On a yearly basis, approximately 25,000 people visit the Monument and Museum to learn more about the human history of the southwest.
Interns will gain experience in visitor services and interpretation of cultural resources to visitors at the museum and monument. The intern will get hands-on experience in conducting curriculum-based field trip programs for school groups and developing hands-on interpretive programs on-site for visitors at the museum. Additionally, the intern will work with curation staff who help protect almost 4 million artifacts in the curation facility on site at the museum. There will also be opportunities to shadow field archaeologists during site-visits to important sensitive archaeology sites.
Job Duties :
- Education and Interpretive Programs
- Learn curriculum and assist staff members in program delivery
- Develop and Present one educational program during internship
- Visitor Services/Front Desk Support
- Shadow Visitor Services staff to learn about recreation opportunities on and around the monument
- Assist Visitor Services staff in orienting visitors to museum exhibits, outside trails, on-site pueblos, playing the orientation movie, and answering general questions for visitors
- Assist with general maintenance of main gallery exhibits and stocking brochure racks
- Curation and Archaeology
- Shadow curation staff and their work behind the scenes and in the main exhibit gallery
- Shadow Archaeologists to sensitive archaeological sites to learn more about research, stabilization, and preservation
Background in education, history, or archaeology preferred, but not required.
The successful applicant must be self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision after the initial training period. The applicant must be able to maneuver and operate in a mixture of office and field work. This can include long periods of standing or walking on rough, uneven ground, bending, crouching, and stooping. Prior to starting this position a government security background clearance will be required.
- 17 years of age or older
- U.S. Citizenship
- Permanent Resident Card, INS form I-551
- Alien Registration Card, INS form I-551
- A passport indicating that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- A departure record ( INS 194) indication that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
To Apply :https://sccorps-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=2171&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992374&company_id=16984&version=1&byBusinessUnit=&bycountry=&bystate=&byRegion=&bylocation=&keywords=&byCat=&proximityCountry=&postalCode=&radiusDistance=&isKilometers=&tosearch=no&city=
Contact Information :
Contact Clara at [email protected] with any questions.
Additional Information :
To apply, visit the link, read the full position description, scroll down and click the ‘New Application’ button. Please submit an updated resume and letter of interest along with the online application.